1. Junk food triggers the same pleasure centres in the brain as drugs do. That could be one reason why so many people binge on those foods.
2. The brain uses a disproportionately large amount of our calorie intake. Hence, poor nutrition may have negative consequences for the brain.
3. Ensuring an adequate and steady calorie intake throughout the day is the first step to keeping focused and alert all day long. (Note: Eating regularly – three meals a day – helps you to concentrate.)
4. Omega-3 oils (found in oily fish, walnuts, pumpkin and flax seeds) help build and maintain the myelin sheath around brain fibres. This is crucial for peak mental performance.
5. Slow release, protein-rich foods help to maintain a healthy level of dopamine. This helps us to feel peaceful, positive, enthusiasm, motivated and, generally, happy. However, falling levels are associated with a sense of emptiness, sadness, irritation and boredom.
6. Chocolate is one of the best quick mood boosters as it contains anandamide. (This fat molecule resembles the active substance found in marijuana.)
7. The neurotransmitter serotonin also helps us feel serene, and helps to combat anxiety. Although carbohydrate snacks raise these levels quickly, they also cause us to feel sleepy. Thus, it is better to reach for foods that keep the level steady. (Eggs and meat are helpful foods for that.)
8. A small amount of caffeine (one espresso coffee) will boost your energy and wakefulness. However, too much caffeine (two or more espressos) will cause you to feel anxious and muddle your thinking.
9. Vegetables such as cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower seem to help boost memory, as do eggs. These appear to stimulate the brain. This is important as we tend to remember events which happen when we are feeling emotionally or intellectually stimulated.
10. High levels of stress hormones lead to the development of compulsive behaviours, including eating large quantities of sugary food and drinks. The only way to counteract this is to avoid foods you’d rather not be addicted to!