If your head tells you one thing and your heart says another, which is the one you should listen to? When it comes to relationships, both play an important role. Here’s when you should listen to your head or your heart when it comes to love:
Follow Your Head
· When you’re thinking of cheating. If you have a wandering eye and are considering acting on it, put your emotions on hold and think about what you’re about to do. Cheating can have serious consequences in your relationship so think long and hard about what you might be risking. Don’t let your attraction or emotions rule your actions.
· When you’re attracted to someone off-limits. Maybe you’re attracted to your best friend’s ex or someone else that you know you shouldn’t pursue. Don’t let your emotions cloud your judgment when it means that you’re risking your friendship or another important relationship. Think about what acting on your attraction would mean for your friendship instead of acting impulsively and following your heart.
· When they treat you badly. Don’t listen to your emotions when you’re in a bad relationship. Your emotional side will make excuses for their bad behavior and get sentimental about their good qualities. Instead, you need to use your head and look at the cold hard facts if they treat you badly, it doesn’t matter how many good times you’ve had together.
· When you’re thinking about getting physical. Leave your emotions (and libido) out of the equation when you’re contemplating taking your relationship to a more physical and intimate level. Think clearly about why you’re doing it and make sure you’re not being pressured. Weigh the consequences of what potential ways your relationship will be affected and definitely use your head to consider health and birth control options.
· When deciding who to be with. Forget what your head is telling you about whether or not someone is your usual type, or if your friends will approve. You can’t help whom you’re attracted to and if there’s someone that you just really want to be with, listen to your heart and go for it. Don’t worry about what your head or anyone else has to say about it.
· When committing. If your heart tells you that you’ve struck relationship gold and you simply just want to be together, listen to your heart when deciding if you want to commit to someone. Don’t start weighing the pros and cons in your head and thinking about all of the reasons why you should keep your options open. If you’re really into someone and they feel the same, follow your heart and commit to them.
· When it comes to long distance. There are a million reasons not to try a long distance relationship and it’s easy to talk yourself out of it. But sometimes it’s just the right person and you want to be together and make it work, no matter the distance. Listen to your heart to determine if they’re the one and you are willing to stay together even with a bit of distance between you.
· When saying “I Love You”. Don’t let your head rule this one because it will surely talk you out of it. Expressing your love to someone is purely emotional. If you think about it too much you’ll likely be scared off by the risks. Take the leap and follow your heart if you want to reap the rewards of telling your partner that you love them.